Skip to main content

Some Stanford country action

On Thursday 9th April we played a little game of longweekend-longweekend and left the office to head up to Stanford. The traffic was unimportant, we were mini-road-trippin, and it was going to be fun (although it would be awesome if someone would “accidentally” bash into all of the robots in Somerset West!)

We arrived in Stanford at about 19:30, and thanks to the new winter lighting system it was dark already, but that just added to the mysticism, it was almost like unwrapping a present, the light would let us see our surprise!

That evening we enjoyed a fabulous dinner (thanks Maureen) of sushi, roast chicken and veggie mac (really awesome). And of course a glass or two of the vino. We opted for an early night and awoke to the wonderful smell (we really like it) of horse farm (get your mind out the gutter!).

After saying good morning to the ponies and getting Sofa Extraordinaire to take his seat we ventured into their paddock and explored the farm…

Shame on you Shamus

The intrepid explorers

After the walk we decided to have a little chilled moment, hanging out on the patio, enjoying a soft drink or two... Then the rest of the team arrived and sobriety soon gave way to a couple of bottles of wine. We had a great time, talking about very important things that are far to important to mention here... We had a braai (awesome) and washed the meal down with a couple more bottles of wine and a game of boule.

Our highlight for the day was a trip down the Stanford river. Just because we like to get maximum enjoyment from everything we do, we even made the most of the trip down to the boat. Some people say that this kind of thing is taking things too far, but I say boys will be boys...

Naughty boys just having fun!

Our guide (a highly qualified bird person aka birder) was fantastic. No sooner had we questioned her about the purple duck (lesser seen) than we would brake out into the Baywatch theme song. Needless to say we were having a great time!

Is that a purple duck?

The team consulting each other for the correct words to the Baywatch theme song!

That evening, after the boat trip we headed into Stanford for the night market! They had a taste sensation, which was apparently awesome. I didn't try it, I was tasting the wines... But its a really cool market that probably didn't know what had hit it when we arrived! After a mosey around we headed to the Stanford Pub (our glasses were running dry) for a quiet one...

Being the respectable adults that we are, there was no drama, nobody hurt themselves, nobody danced badly or anything like that. Also being respectable we decided to head home fairly early (some say it was around 21:00???) Where we once again had a braai (twice if you count rebraaing as a separate action.) I can only report on this second hand, being the responsible type I went to bed early!

The next morning we all woke up slightly worse for wear, understandably after being so awesome the night before! Sunday papers were shuffled while breakfast was assembled. And while we had managed to manouver the boys away from the rugby the previous day, it would not be happening again today.

However today was the day of reckoning for the pony lovers, we were to don our suits of armour, clutch our swords and bob around the arena. Using our phenomenal skills we managed to tame one of these:

A small horse.

Thanks Jen, Maureen and Peter for having us, we had a great time.



Popular posts from this blog

Marking milestones

When Bug was born, well a month or so after, I bought some cards to mark her milestones. Who knew that I should have bought them when I was preggo? So we missed a few photos… But now I find myself attempting to dressing her up for her milestones, only for her to accessorise them with accoutrements such as vomit! Then I jump around, cajoling her into smiling, while hopefully the camera is in focus and I actually press the snap button.  Those photos are all well and good. But I want some real-life photos and babies aren’t renown for their on-cue performances! So how do you actually get that photo of her first tooth?!?  That’s one of the current milestones we’re trying to mark. And she’s not particularly given to opening her mouth wide, unless it’s to cry loudly! I may not be parent of the year, but I’m not about to start taking photos of her mouth while she cries! So, it’ll just have to wait until she smiles for a prolonged period, while I conveniently have the camera to hand! Case in po

4 month sleep regression

I write to you from Hell… just kidding, I’m on the foot stool next to Bug’s bed. Not talking, not touching, just sitting while she lies with her head facing the other way. And every few minutes gives an attempt at a cry.  But at least she’s in her bed! She’s completely refused all naps in her bed so far this week. So this is a major win! I’m talking champagne, the I proper stuff… or at least a really large glass of whatever is open in the fridge.  Now bedtime is the stuff nightmares are made from! Bedtime used to be a pleasant routine, now it’s a panic-inducing labour. I’m pretty sure my blood pressure is through the roof, climbing from approximately 18:00, in anticipation of the dreaded sleep attempts! Last night was an early 22:00ish before she was down. The night before, midnight. And over the weekend, one night her refusals were so adamant that I got a sum total of zero hours sleep. By midnight it was clear the only way she’d sleep was in my arms. So Bug and I got the big bed. She

One good thing about social distancing…

Is that nobody comes too close and I can get away with only half brushing my teeth (no toothpaste, had Bug in my arms and wouldn’t have been able to rinse). And not wearing deodorant (again, the baby!) Also, still wearing some of my pyjamas, semi-disguised  as day clothes… But nobody can really tell cause they can’t get too close! Win! On top of that we had a very successful walk. The dog mostly listened and was easily distracted by treats. Bug slept the whole time and was seemingly nose-blind. And my back pocket doubled up as my coffee cup holder! Hands-free, here we come!  Oh, and because we were out walking for so long - two hours, until it was time for the next feed - the dog is exhausted! He hasn’t been this tired since his play date with best friend Amber! Lucky x