Skip to main content

Prepping for a party

This evening I'm curling my lashes, parlaying with my locks, slipping on the heels and shimmying into The Dress...

I hope to arrive on time, the picture of serenity, with everything in place. This may be a bit of a pipe dream because it's not only rainy today, but also windy and unless I were to travel in a protective bubble it is almost inevitable that the loose branch that has been meaning to fall all day will do so the moment I'm under it! But right now that's way in the future.

The preparation, excluding extra trips to the gym and restrained salad lunches, began in earnest on Sunday night. After a great gardening stint came the relaxing bath (where I only contemplated scrubbing at the end) complete with face mask, latest edition of Glamour and M&S chocolate cherry liquors - just to set the tone!

I had no wish to blend in with the white of the hall and so, rather nervously, applied my first self-tan. PLW assured me that the brand was good and I made sure that all the instructions - of which there seemed to be worryingly few - had been properly ingested. I would have a healthy glow, not a radioactive orange appearance.

I sprayed, then stood. And stood - not touching anything - for as long as I could, to avoid streaks and patches. PLW had been warned, and if for any reason I needed to nip into my bedroom all I had to shout out was "naked landing crossing". But I used this time wisely, manicuring and pedicuring away, plucking eyebrows and catching up on phone calls.

Monday morning brought with it the unveiling of my new healthy appearance... And apart from a questionable white patch on my right elbow and a discreet line on the same wrist, I'd done a fairly good job. Anyway, they would be taken care of when I applied the second coat that evening.

So last night round two took place, and this time I was more confident, not always a good thing. I gave the right arm an extra good spraying but probably didn't stick to the 40 cm distance - preferring rather to get in close - for the rest of my body. My 'fine mist' was turning into droplets, so I applied the hair-dryer. I don't know if this is standard technique, but it seemed to have the desired effect.

This morning, while standing with a very green face mask on I unveiled The Tan - part 2. While not as even and smooth as The Tan - The Original, but with 'hints of muscle definition' I could almost have spent the past week on the Garnier Islands!

Luckily stockings and hopefully good lighting will triumph cause it's almost time for me to start wondering about that errant stick!



Popular posts from this blog

Marking milestones

When Bug was born, well a month or so after, I bought some cards to mark her milestones. Who knew that I should have bought them when I was preggo? So we missed a few photos… But now I find myself attempting to dressing her up for her milestones, only for her to accessorise them with accoutrements such as vomit! Then I jump around, cajoling her into smiling, while hopefully the camera is in focus and I actually press the snap button.  Those photos are all well and good. But I want some real-life photos and babies aren’t renown for their on-cue performances! So how do you actually get that photo of her first tooth?!?  That’s one of the current milestones we’re trying to mark. And she’s not particularly given to opening her mouth wide, unless it’s to cry loudly! I may not be parent of the year, but I’m not about to start taking photos of her mouth while she cries! So, it’ll just have to wait until she smiles for a prolonged period, while I conveniently have the camera to hand! Case in po

4 month sleep regression

I write to you from Hell… just kidding, I’m on the foot stool next to Bug’s bed. Not talking, not touching, just sitting while she lies with her head facing the other way. And every few minutes gives an attempt at a cry.  But at least she’s in her bed! She’s completely refused all naps in her bed so far this week. So this is a major win! I’m talking champagne, the I proper stuff… or at least a really large glass of whatever is open in the fridge.  Now bedtime is the stuff nightmares are made from! Bedtime used to be a pleasant routine, now it’s a panic-inducing labour. I’m pretty sure my blood pressure is through the roof, climbing from approximately 18:00, in anticipation of the dreaded sleep attempts! Last night was an early 22:00ish before she was down. The night before, midnight. And over the weekend, one night her refusals were so adamant that I got a sum total of zero hours sleep. By midnight it was clear the only way she’d sleep was in my arms. So Bug and I got the big bed. She

One good thing about social distancing…

Is that nobody comes too close and I can get away with only half brushing my teeth (no toothpaste, had Bug in my arms and wouldn’t have been able to rinse). And not wearing deodorant (again, the baby!) Also, still wearing some of my pyjamas, semi-disguised  as day clothes… But nobody can really tell cause they can’t get too close! Win! On top of that we had a very successful walk. The dog mostly listened and was easily distracted by treats. Bug slept the whole time and was seemingly nose-blind. And my back pocket doubled up as my coffee cup holder! Hands-free, here we come!  Oh, and because we were out walking for so long - two hours, until it was time for the next feed - the dog is exhausted! He hasn’t been this tired since his play date with best friend Amber! Lucky x